Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Watermelon Salsa by the Sea.


S and I spent the last week in Cape Hatteras in the Outer Banks. My father and his friends are a into windsurfing and kitesurfing, and have been coming down to Hatteras since the 1980's. They also know how to throw a week long party- lots of good food and a myriad of booze. 


There was sushi, made with fresh locally caught seafood delicacies- the oyster was especially nice.




I did a bit of windsurfing. I learned as a child, but it had been a long time. When I was very small I used to sit indian style on the front of my fathers windsurfer and he'd sail straight out into Lake Erie. Doing the sailing yourself is a fair amount tougher!


Oh, and we explored an abandoned amusement park. Which was pretty neato.

Anyway, on to the Watermelon Salsa!


This is my father's recipe, it's very fresh and summery tasting, the sweetness of the watermelon balancing out the spicy jalapenos.



Over the course of the week my father made two or three batches of this, and one of mango salsa, all of which were a huge hit.



Watermelon Jalapeno Salsa

1/4 medium large watermelon (about two cups)
2 Jalapenos (one if you like it more medium spicy)
1/2 red onion
3/4 cup rinsed and dried cilantro
Juice of 1-2 limes
Salt and Pepper to taste


Chop the watermelon into 1/4-1/2 inch cubes, and add to large bowl. Chop the jalapeno and onion  finely, add to bowl. Add lime and cilantro. 
Mix, then taste and add salt and pepper according to taste. 
Let sit 15-20 minutes to bring out flavors, mix again, and serve.
The sweetness of watermelons varies with ripeness, so be sure to taste as you add the salt and lime to adjust accordingly. 



I just couldn't resist sharing one last photo of the abandoned amusement park. This place was definitely open last time I was in Hatteras, ten years ago, and now it's being reclaimed by nature pretty rapidly.
Share on Tumblr






No comments:

Post a Comment